Ladies and gents we have a winner

So it's taken some serious creative thought but I think I've finally found the name of my publication; Introducing: lük magazine.

I know, I know, you may be thinking what does that mean? Is that English? Is that even a word? Well yes. . .  and no. 

The name actually was ignited from an inside joke with my friends. You see, in the fashion world when people put together a really nice outfit, they are said to be sporting a look. A look is not only a concrete thing but also a confident vibe that someone with good style exudes. Oftentimes, it can even be the highest of compliments when it comes to those taking risks with their fashion choices. For example, if someone says, 

"Wow, denim on denim? A look!" 

They are recognizing your bold fashion choice, and commend you for it. I want my fashion magazine to show these kinds of bold choices that people my age are not typically exposed to. I want my magazine to be full of looks. 

Therefore, my first choice of titles was just that - look. However, I didn't really like how that rolled off the tongue. It seemed more like the name of an eyewear brand and less like a fashion publication. I just wasn't feeling it. Thus, I thought back to my previous research on titles and remembered how much I fell in love with foreign magazine titles. So I typed "look" into google translate and tried to find a language that screamed high fashion. For example, "look" in French is "voir" or "regard" which while I did like the way it sounded and could envision it on the cover of a magazine, the connotation of these words is more literal and less what I was going for. I wanted to name my magazine based on fashion statements, not the physical act of seeing. 

This brings us back to my inside joke. Whenever I or my friends compliment each other on our bold fashion ensembles, we don't just say "that's a look." Instead, in our attempts to sound more sophisticated and fashion savvy, we elongate the "o" sound in the word and make it sound more like an "ü" sound. This, my friends, is how the term "lük" was born. Yes, technically it is just a fancier made-up way to spell "look" but I like the aesthetic of the word alone. I feel like it perfectly matches what I want my magazine to be about. The accent adds a touch of a foreign tone and dramatizes the term, which is what a fashion "lük" is all about. The very word exhibits its own definition. A lük is something that is wonderfully over the top and extra, and although it may not make complete sense, it works. In my defense, I did mention in my previous post that I may be tempted to make up my own word, so you can't say you had not been warned. 

With a title this bold the content has no choice but to step up to the standard. Lük screams a brand that is funky and carefree and I believe my fashion spreads will live up to their namesake. Upon deciding on this name, I was instantly inspired to think about what kind of looks, or lüks, what fit this name. Immediately, I thought of Paper Magazine. Anyone who is familiar with this fashion magazine knows that they are not afraid to step out of the box. If anyone in the industry is reliably serving lüks, it's Paper Magazine. Thus, I've picked out a few of my favorite lüks from their recent spreads that I believe encompass the vibe that I would like my magazine to exude as well. 





As you can see, Paper magazine is not afraid to experiment with different colors. I think I will adopt this same use of color psychology to my magazine production, experimenting with bold color patterns like red, orange and pink that attract my audience's attention. Furthermore, the fashion looks showcased on their cover pages are bold and daring and unconventional, challenging the stereotypical fashion archetypes that everything has to match and look expensive. Instead, they allow their models to have fun with their clothing, and this playful attitude shows in the shots. I would also like to give off this fun vibe that shows that my magazine doesn't take itself too seriously, and instead prioritizes daring to be different and taking pride in our unique lüks. I mean, with a name like lük, you almost have no choice but to be daring. So let's do this. 

Citations: 
“PAPER.” PAPER, PAPER, www.papermag.com/.

Comments