It's All Coming Together

This weekend, I returned to joomag to get some more of my cover page spread laid out. Although I tried laying out some of it at school, I remembered that the font that I wanted was downloaded onto my laptop at home, so it was hard to really visualize my cover when the font was off. I realized in this process that fonts play such an integral role in magazine designs, especially in the cover design. Because I didn't have the font I wanted, I couldn't really design any of my cover without it looking all wrong and nothing like I envisioned in my head.

Thus, once I got home, I was able to really get to work. First, I downloaded the David Elika font from Dafont.com and placed it into the Joomag programming. Thankfully, this application allowed that option of downloading fonts, so I am definitely happy that I decided to stick with Joomag. Immediately after downloading the font, I felt a lot more confident about the look of the cover. I am loving the look of the text and its ability to stand out on my rather simplistic design. As I presumed, the font does not allow me to add the accent marks above the "U" in my masthead of "Lük" but I was able to fix this by adding another textbox above the 'U" and typing two periods into it. This adds the illusion of an accent mark and allows me to keep this font without sacrficing the foregin affect.

Next, I had to decide what I wanted to do about cover lines. For a moment, I considered having multiple coverlines framing the main picture, but upon referencing a Paper magazine cover again, I decided to follow their minimalist lead and just have text at the top and the bottom of the cover. So, with the masthead at the top of the frame, at the bottom I included a brief cover line to sum up what the them of my issue is going to be, which is price-effective ways to stay trendy. I think this was enough text for the cover, and did a fine job at giving my audience a glimpse of what could be found inside of the magazine. Although I had more thoughts for what more articles could be about, I decided to save those blurbs for my table of contents to keep my cover looking as least cluttered as possible. Once I insert the actual cover photo, if there is enough empty space in the background of the photo, I may reconsider this choice and add another coverline. But for now, I am satisfied with just the one.

At the very bottom of the magazine, I decided to add the price and edition of my magizie rather than at the top with my masthead. I did this because the top of the cover was getting too crowded, and I didn't want it to look like I was cramming everything in at the top. At the bottom, it fits more naturally and completes the full cover spread more.

At the top, right underneath the masthead, I decided to add my slogan which is "get the lük everyone's talking about" because I belive it is an essential part of my magaizne brand that gives off the essence of what my publication is all about. This deviates from genre conventions as many fashion magazine don't typically include a slogan on their cover, but I thought it was an integral part of what my magzine represented and fits my cover quite well.

I also mimicked Paper magazine's design of implementing a white border around my cover photo because I think that adds a crisper look and allows you to see the full photo more. When the photo is the entirety of the cover page, I think it actually makes it harder for readers to see the entirety of the photo, especially the quirky details I want to include into mine. It comes across as more distracting and messy when the photo is stretched to fit the entire page, in my opinion, and so I thought the white border brought it all together nicely.

Here's the final draft of my cover: 

I added a place holder picture (of myself) since I don't have my cover shot yet, but otherwise, I am really happy with how it looks for now. I will obviously have to touch up some things, especially once I replace the photo with the actual one, but for now I think this is an excellent strating point. 

Below is a sample of one of Paper's covers for reference, so you can clearly see where my influences come from. Based on the photo I end up utilizing for the cover, I may experiement with the color of my masthead's font like Paper does to add a bit more fun and youthful look to the cover. 




Comments