Location! Location! Location!

While I was not able to go down to the Miami Art and Design District this weekend, I was able to scout a local location. Although I was almost sure that I do not want to shoot my magazine cover close to home, I just wanted to double check before I committed to using extra gas and resources to get downtown. If I were going to shoot locally, I figured I would exploit the natural environment of Weston and shoot at a park, since we are abundant in those settings. Thus, I headed to Peace Mound Park on Indian Trace to look at some possible shooting locations.

The first thing that I noticed when I entered the park was that there was not a lot of dynamic details to the environment. While other parks in the town have large hills or intricate paths, this park only seems to have one real nature trail and no noticeable hills. This is a drawback for me, because if I did decide to shoot outside at a park, I would want to take advantage of this unique setting and experiment with high angles with some sort of hill to utilize for a higher perspective. I figured the hills would add more intrigue to my shots, but since this park did not have any hills, I fear that any shots taken here would not be interesting enough to the eye.
Image result for peace mound park weston flImage result for peace mound park weston fl

Another concern is the playground in the middle of the park which both minimizes the open space I could use and adds the extra factor of curious children who could interrupt the flow of my shoot. I do not really want to shoot in front of an audience out of fear of getting distracted or wandering eyes making my model nervous. Thus, the more secluded my location is, the better. A possible solution to this problem is finding out the hours where there are little to no people at the park, particularly not a lot of children. For example, if we went during my senior privilege hour when many elementary schools are still in session,  we should be able to have relative privacy.

An aspect of the park I really enjoyed is the lake. As seen in the pictures I have included, there is a short bridge that overlooks a lake at the park. This could be a really cool location for shooting and add some contrast between the land and the water. The only concern for this particular spot is that I noticed many ducks crowding around this area (as seen below). Not only do I have a strong dislike of ducks and would like to avoid their presence at any cost, but I also do not want them to interfere in my photos. Thus, if I could figure out a way to get some shots with the lake included, but without the ducks, that could be a really nice location.

Image result for peace mound park weston fl

Another positive of shooting outside at the park is that there is plenty of natural light. Personally, I prefer natural light in photos and this guarantees that my location will not be too dimly lit. The only concern with natural light is that it could cause my model to sweat, but perhaps we can come prepared with blotting paper and miniature fans. My optimal location would have plenty of natural light, and the park definitely checks that box so that is a plus.

Comments