New Theme New Me

Okay so plot twist. Previously, I had set my mind on the theme of my first edition as being "Balling on a Budget." The issue would revolve around hacks and tricks for producing high fashion looks without breaking the bank. In my previous mock cover, as seen below, you can see that the few cover lines on my cover were about cost-efficient ways to look good. As much as I loved this theme, I was forced to reconsider when planning the logistics of my actual cover photo shoot.



When I location scouted before, I was thinking of a realistic set using my natural surroundings in some big city, whether that be Miami or Fort Lauderdale. While this would have made for a wonderful editorial cover shoot, it proved to not be so easily attainable after all. As hinted at in my previous rendetion of "Weston's Next Top Model," I ultimately decided to choose Joanne as my cover model. While she has the clothing items and the look for a perfect cover, to make the shoot happen the way I had previously intended it to, she would have had to make the 40-minute trek with me downtown. This wasn't a problem for me, but for Joanne, she was less able to leave town so easily because of transportation issues and parental restrictions. Thus, in order to accomadate to who I believe is the perfect model for this shoot, I would have to think a little closer to home.

Ultimately, I decided to take this mindset to heart and use my house as our shooting location. It was the easiest for the both of us to get to and it served as an inspiration for my brand new theme. I decided to shift the theme of first edition to another topic completely. Introducing the "Girl Next Door" issue.

The basis of this issue will now be how to bring high fashion into the reader's own communities. By introducing Joanne, clad in extravagant outfits, as this girl-next-door persona, it normalizes the presense of avant garde looks in places one wouldn't expect. I want to showcase the contrast between a casual neighborhood and high fashion, and show that the two can in fact exist in the same plane.

Thus, by shooting in my neighborhood I can show that you can still be the girl next door and take risks with what you wear, one does not have to pick one over the other. The closer setting that I am more familiar with also gives me more freedom to play around more and take some risks with the shots I take. Overall, I am excited about the unexpected change and am anxious to see what will come out of it.

Comments