Now Comes The Fun Part

Now that I am satisfied with the final version of my pictures, I can get to work with laying them out on the spreads. Because I already have a general idea of how I want everything to look, for the most part I just have to insert the photos into the template I already created on Joomag. First, I started with the cover. Here is what I had before:


The first thing I did was replace the photo of me with cover photo I picked of Joanne. When I did this, I noticed the spacing of the lettering was slightly off. For example the coverline "Balling on a budget" did not line up with my new cover photo and the placement of Joanne's legs. Luckily, as previously stated, I decided to change my issue theme to "Girl Next Door" which is less words and fit better within the photo. This change also worked out because my design inspiration, Paper Magazine,  has very breif coverlines that are usually one or two words and don't really include a byline. Thus, I shortened my use of coverlines and just stuck with the three words that encompassed my theme. 

Next, I played with the white space at the top of my cover. Paper Magazine deals with this white space by utilizing a very broad and bold font for their masthead that takes up plenty of space. My font is not as wide or bold so it doesn't hold it's own as well at the top of the page. Thus, I decided to space out the lettering so that my masthead took up more space and the top of the cover did not seem as empty. 

These were pretty much the only two changes I had to make to the template I already designed before, as everything else fit nicely. Luckily Joanne does a nice job as filling the cover nicely and really making a fashion statement strong enough to stand by itself as the cover. I picked the photo because Joanne's stance was dramatic eccentric enough to take up the allotted cover space and as I mentioned before, the white bachground mimicked the blank backdrops of many editorial shoots. Here's my final cover: 


I love the look of the cover and think it's a perfect depiction of the vibe I was going for with Lük. It's fun and young and all sorts of high fashion. 

Comments