Scratch that!

So remember how I said it looked like Canva was going to be my go-to programming choice for my magazine production? Well about that. . .

In class on Friday, we reviewed past student's reflections on their projects. One of the students noted that she utilized and Canva, and to my shock, did not like the platform at all. Although she said she learned to love it in the end, she said that in the beginning it was diffucult for her to use because it had limited features and made it harder for her to add what she wanted. She also noted that Canva's design does not allow a two-page spread to show both pages side by side. This was tough for her to design a spread that connected and flowed seamlessly. She even mentioned that at one point, the program deleted all of her work!

All this to say, Canva was not her first choice, and the only reason she chose it over Joomag was because she had problems accessing it at home. I, on the other hand, have no issues accessing Joomag and even though this student said she learned the trade of Canva eventually, would not like to take the chance. If I am able to access the more technical and detalied programming, then I think I should take advantage of that opportunity. Something about listening to this student's reflection came off as a warning to me, like some strange force urging me to reconsider my initial instinct and look to Joomag instead.

Additionally, when looking at that student's final result, I could notice some of the less technical detauls that she said Canva lacked. For example, the font didn't seem as professional and clean-cut as the ones on Joomag, perhaps because Canva forces you to use their fonts instead of allowing you to upload some of your own. Furthurmore, because she said she could not design her two-page spread side by side, the pages did not line up completely, and came across as disjointed and slightly messy. If I can help it, I would like to avoid these flaws as best as I can, and I think the first step in doing that may just be to use Joomag.

Upon revisting Joomag, I took a quick look at some of the tutorials that they offered on their website and realized that the site is not nearly as scary as I initially thought. Although there are a lot of buttons and features, they have a help center that I can reference for nearly any concern. I also discovered that the template's features are a lot more adaptable than I originally thought, meaning that I can change more aspects than I presumed. This means I can implement some of the designs that I admired from Canva's template, onto my design on Joomag, allowing me to have the best of both worlds.

Thus, after much consideration, I've made a final decision to go with Joomag. I am confident that this program will leave me with the best possible product and will make the final version of the magazine look much more clean-cut and professionalism. Yes, it may take a little more work to learn the tips and tricks of this program, but I am up for the challenge!

Comments