Take Two!

So today, I decided to try out the other magazine creation platform that was suggested to me, Canva

Immediately upon entering the site, I was struck by how easy it was to navigate, even more so than Juumag. I made an account and then was giving the ability to roam free around the site and see what it was really about.

After searching the 'Magazine' section of the site, which was slightly difficult since the site creates everything from business cards to brochures, I was drawn to the template section. I decided after looking at Juumag's that it would be best to utilize a template in my magazine creation because I think it would make the process a whole lot easier.

Canva does have less of a selection of templates, but I find that their style more correlates to what I was looking for in a magazine. The template I liked the most was the one titled 'Pastel'. Here's a glimpse of it below.


This is almost exactly what I was looking for in a magazine cover. The cover features a centered masthead and minimal cover lines which is what I was looking for. Unlike with the other site, I can more easily see myself inserting my information into this template rather than drastically moving stuff around and inserting new text boxes. This cover is basically exactly what I was looking for and I can already envision my cover photo in the place of the one already there. I even was able to quicly insert my magazine title to make the preview look more official.

I will say that with Canva, it is much easier to actually design the cover. I can more easily navigate the features and add and subtract aspects where I feel the need. This platform is more suitable for beginners like me, which I can see me having an easier time with. The more simplistic programming may impair me in my designing process if I discover I'm missing needed tools, but for now, it's my perfect level of difficulty. Another setback is that the template only includes the cover, so everything else is up to me. It does give me the option to add pages, but I would have to build these layouts from scratch. The tools they provide look like they enable me to do this without much trouble, but it is still an added aspect that I wouldn't have to worry about with Juumag. Still, I am so in love with the cover design of this template that I may just be willing to make that sacrifice. If anything, I can always mimic the cover design of Juumag's template and copy it onto Canva. 

I will continue playing around with both platforms, but for now, it looks like Canva may be my best bet because of its simplicity in design and functionality. 

Comments