Weston's Next Top Model Episode 3

Today at lunch my friend Joanne discussed how she is planning on filming her AICE Media A Level project during our upcoming spring break. I was surprised because I had not previously known that she had taken this course, and thus, flooded her with questions on how her AS experience was. It turns out she also did a magazine for her portfolio project and was full of tips on how to ensure I produce the best possible end result. For example, she agreed that Joomag was probably my best bet for designing my spread because it will allow me the most creative flexibility. She also gave me tips like taking as many photos as possible during my photo shoot because you never know which pick will look the best on my spread.

Halfway through the conversation, I was hit with a wonderful idea: what if I used Joanne as my cover model! I talked over the pros of this choice with Joanne and she seemed down to pose for my photo shoot. Not only has she already agreed, which is the first step, but she can also offer worthwhile advice with the production process, which will really come in handy during my shoot. She also offered her camera for me to use to shoot her, so that crosses off another item that I would have to worry about acquiring. I think the guidance that Joanne could provide in the shooting and production process is definitely worth taking advantage of, especially since I am working independently and could really use the extra feedback and set of hands.

       



While my other candidate, Juliana, also has some experience since she also took the AS course last year and produced a magazine, at the end of the day it comes down to my representation goals. As stated in my previous blog posts, I want to represent diversity through my magazine and break industry norms of only showcasing models with the same physical traits. While Juliana also contains knowledge, Joanne showcases more diversity. As a black woman, Joanne is represented less in the modeling industry. Models are rarely seen with Joanne's dark skin and thick lips, features that deserve to be represented just as much as anyone else's. I think Joanne's look is much more unique and represents the message of diversity that I aim to spread with my magazine. Thus, when it comes down to the two, I think Joanne does more for black representation.

    

Furthermore, when discussing the practicality of this shoot, Joanne mentioned her eccentric wardrobe. As a follower of fashion herself, she said she has kept up to date with some trends of the fashion world. She described some funky clothing pieces like a snakeskin dress and a shirt composed of feathers that I think sound really photograph-able and could help construct some awesome looks. This eliminates the necessity of me building my model's wardrobe from scratch, and even if I still decided to go forward with my plan of thrifting some memorable pieces, I at least now have a starting point. Joanne's addition of her trendy wardrobe makes her a valuable asset in my shoot and makes me more confident in my upcoming shoot since I know the model will already have some cool pieces to work with.




I've included pictures off of Joanne's Instagram that showcase her style and personality. When looking at the pictures, I am pretty confident in her ability to be comfortable behind the camera and give off the youthful energy and carefree-ness that I am looking for. Ultimately, I think Joanne is a great choice for my cover model and is who I am leaning towards as of now. There is one other prospect that I previously had in mind, but the chances of Joanne being the person I end up going with are extremely high.

Comments