Finishing Touches

For the double page spread, I knew I wanted to include both text and visual aids. I decided to take the conventional approach for fashion magazines and stage and interview with my cover model, Joanne. Luckily, Joanne is a rising Youtuber so I could talk about a little more than just her fashion. Thus, the main content of my double page spread is a mock interview with Joanne, presuming that I had asked her questions during her covershoot.

For laying out the actual page, I decided to put the pictures on the spread first and then fit the text around the images. This was definitely the right choice since it prevented me from writing too much or too little, and not having to cut off any pictures. The interview itself wasn't that long, to retain the emphasis on the images and to not have too many words crammed into the space of the page.

Instead of changing the entire background of this spread, since when I did so it looked like too much was going on, I instead played with the color of the title font and byline, and the intitials signaling who was speaking in the interview. Again, like the table of contents, I drew directly for the pictures on this page for the colors I used using the color of Joanne's shirt and her actual skin. With the color dropper tool, I was able to use these colors throughout the whole spread which I think added a much needed pop of color.

For the font of the title, I used the same David Elika font I utilzized for my masthead on the front page, which adds some continuity. For my regular articles in the magazine, I would probably not use this font but since the two page spread is special, I think it added a nice touch. The font of the byline was called Mighty Brush, which is what I utilized for the Table of Contents, also ensuring a level of consistency. The font of the text is Times New Roman because I though this was a nice standard and the easiest to read. I didn't want to use a special font for the body of the article because I thought that would look like too much going on, and overall way too distracting.

I did implement a pull-out quote to break up the monotony of the text on the right side. With this blurb from the interview, I used the same David Elika font from the title and colored it purple to make it stand out but still go with theme of the page.


After finishing this double spread, I reflected on the pages of fashion magazines, like Paper, that I had reserached and realized that many magazines contain pages of just the models to showcase the photoshoot that is an integral part of the publication. Because I could not simply make pictures my double page spread, I decided to add two extra pages to show more of the photoshoot and make the publication more closely resemble an actual fashion magazine. I picked two of my favorite pictures of the outfits that were not utilized for the main double-page spread, so it would not come across as redundant. I also included on the side the name of the model and where the items of clothing are from since this is what many fashion magazines do as well.

Here's how it looks:

And that's all folks! That is basically the summation of my magazine and I could not be more proud. It all came together way better than I could have ever expected and I am genuinely excited to share this finsied product. I will probably tweak some minor details, but for the most part, I am pretty much ready to introduce the very first issue of Lük magazine! 

Comments