The Written Reflection

       The final version of Lük Magazine proved to be everything I hoped and more. As a modern Avante-Garde publication that addressed young adults through a more realistic appeal, I believe the elements of the publication worked together nicely to showcase looks that are unique, yet can still be casually worn by my target audience. 
       Although Luk aims to stand out in the crowd of fashion magazines, it does still adhere to some conventions. For example, like many in the genre, my magazine is very much visually based. The photos of my magazine are the center of the publication, being the main focus of all my pages from cover to cover. On the front cover, the photo is the main attention grabber utilized to draw readers in and establish the tone of the rest of the publication, a commonality in my genre. However, I challenged the genre convention of including multiple cover lines. Instead, I took inspiration from my main influence Paper Magazine and only included one cover line at the bottom of the page. Through research of Paper, I found this layout provided a clean look and kept the reader’s attention focused on the cover photo, not leaving room for any distractions or creating a cluttered look.
Inside the magazine, I followed genre conventions of implementing a photo into the layout of my table of contents and using the interview layout for my double page spread, which many fashion publications lean towards to avoid wordy articles. This allowed more insight into the fashion choices of the cover model. However, I strayed slightly from the norm by implementing my photos into the interview, rather than separating the two. I felt that this created a more cohesive look and broke up the block of text with visual stimuli. I returned to genre conventions by including an addition double page spread composed entirely of photos from the shoot that showcase the main attraction of the magazine which is my model’s outfits and where they are from. This inclusion was to keep my publication focused on fashion, and emphasize that the publication was a fashion magazine rather than a magazine that happened to include fashion advice. As for the table of contents, I stayed true to the unconventional essence of my brand by rotating the main page numbers at a 180-degree angle. This worked because I only included the page numbers of the main spreads on the table of contents, so even with the eccentric layout, the numbers were still legible. This aspect, combined with the photo in the middle of the page, made the table of contents visually attractive as well as informative.
My inclusion of a back cover was a decision I made in efforts to tie the publication together in a natural way. I believe the use of the same cover model in the same clothes, just the back of her, was an innovative idea for a back cover that I could repeat as a recurring segment. One weakness in this spread is that Joanne, my cover model, is not in the same exact position as she was in the front cover. I believe this would have elevated the concept and provided maximum continuity. However, I failed to think ahead during my photo shoot and take shots of Joanne from the back in the same positions. In future issues, I would have the front and back cover be essentially the same photo, just different perspectives.
I am particularly proud of the visual content of the publication despite my change in setting. Even though I was apprehensive about my change in location for my photo shoot in the beginning, I believe this alteration paid off as well. When realistically considering shooting in a big city, I predict that the surroundings may have actually been too much going on, and drowned out the model. Thus, I think it was for the better that we switched settings at the last moment, and brought the production right to my house. This was a challenge for me, as I had to find places that were not too bland or inappropriate for the publication. Ultimately, I found a fair balance of blank backgrounds like my garage door and visually-appealing backgrounds like the street.  
Through my magazine, I aimed to address the social issue of lack of representation within the fashion industry and the outdated archetype of teen style. My use of an African American model, Joanne, shows diversity in the fashion industry that is not highlighted often and points out that anyone of any race can have a good sense of style. Both Joanne’s skin and body type show a different type of model not often shown on runways or on front covers. Furthermore, her bold sense of style challenges the misconception that all teens dress alike in the same monotonous manner. The use of loud patterns and colors show that anyone can make a fashion statement at any age. Joanne’s youth also showcases the bold fashion choices of young adults between the ages of 15 and 18, something not highlighted often as most high-fashion looks are shown on models in their mid to upper twenties.
My product engages with audiences by urging them to dress outside the box and reconsider taking bolder fashion choices. Through technological convergence techniques like the social media hashtag #lukatme readers can share their bold fashion looks and ask the writers for fashion advice. The publication utilizes their social media presence to stay in touch with their readers and find out exactly what their audience wants to read about and to expand their experience from off the page, providing them with a place to continue the discussion and overall synergy in the publication’s branding.
Luk would be distributed as a quarterly print publication, with each issue correlating with the four seasons. In between the print publication releases, web content like articles, interview videos and behind the scenes footage from photo shoots will also be uploaded on Lukmag.com, referenced on the back cover of the magazine, to maintain a healthy following and stay active.
My production skills improved monumentally, especially in the photography realm. I had to learn how to capture the best shots of my model in the best format that fitted my spread. Thus, I had to learn basics about camera lighting and set design and how mise-en-scene aspects like wardrobe could be best highlighted on camera. I was extremely surprised at the quality of my photos and how I was able to edit them to make the colors pop. I also improved in my layout skills. Although I had some experience in laying out, I learned new ways to make text and images fit together to look aesthetically pleasing. I developed new skills in visually attractive design by carefully choosing aspects like font and spacing. The main technology I utilized was the iPhone 10 and the iPhone 7 Plus which I used to take pictures and edit pictures respectively. Because of my familiarity with the iPhone, the photography process was not too difficult since I already knew the gadgets and their functions. However, I would have liked to use more professional equipment. This was a challenge for me since I do not own a more advanced camera, and had to depend on others for their contributions. Another option for my cover model had a camera and offered to let me use it if I chose her for the model, but ultimately, I chose a model that would better fit my publication and sacrficed the use of an actual camera. Although this was a setback, I think the pictures still came out nicely with the IPhone and I am confident that I made the correct selection in model choice. Especially given Joanne's contribution to the mise-en-scene of the publication with her wardrobe. This legitimized the fashion aspect of my magazine and elevated its look with her unique fashion choices. Thus, the sacrfice was one that worked out just fine.
Through the VSCO app, I was able to alter the coloring of my pictures so they looked more editorial and visually appealing. On my laptop, I used the Joomag website to design my magazine. WIth their layout template, I was able to add my own text boxes to design the page exactly how I intended. Because this was a new platform for me, there was a learning curve in mastering the software but eventually, I got the hang of it.
Overall, I am very proud with the end result of my publication and believe it showcases exactly the bold and carefree vibe that I was hoping to convey with Luk magazine. My target audience is young adults between the ages of 16 and 25, thus the bold colors and fashion statements appeal to their urge to stay on top of trends while maintaining a sense of individuality.

Here is a link to the document version of this written reflection: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_H0s7ah8axcDWLmjuGsY44KM7zVdVyavW_4bkrNMiL4/edit?usp=sharing

Comments